It’s ALL about YOU!
Blink Blink Blink… A whole week has passed by and 2018 is on its way!!! Thank goodness for warmer days here on the East Coast after the below freezing temperatures we have been experiencing!
I am really surprised to see so many of those New Year’s Resolutions are already collecting dust on the piece of fitness equipment purchased for last year’s resolution.
So, I decided to do a SHOUT OUT that…
SELF-CARE IS A NECESSITY NOT A LUXURY!!!
In my business, I see it ALL the time; a client who consistently gives up ‘their’ self-care time for someone else — whether it be a family member, someone related to business, a friend or possibly their favorite charity. They somehow feel it is okay to put themselves at the bottom of their priority list. What happens then? They feel CRAPPY!
YOU are just as important, if not more important, than everyone else in your life! If you are giving up taking care of yourself, what makes you feel good about you? Don’t get me wrong, giving to others is an awesome thing and my business is ALL about giving to others, but not at the expense of my own self. This isn’t about giving to get something in return, this is about knowing how to recharge your own battery so you can continue to give to those, in your life, that you care for the most.
If you were to look at my calendar, each week you would see highlighted in different colors my yoga, my workouts, my meditation, my tennis, my writing along with other things that are important to my self care. Yes, there are times when I need to change the time I do these things but, I don’t give them up completely because they are what makes me the best ME I can be!
How can you stay true to yourself?
1. Love Yourself - Love yourself the way you love others. Take care of yourself the way you take care of others. You wouldn’t think to neglect your family, your business, your friends, the charities you participate in, so why neglect yourself?
2. Be Accountable to YOU - You can rely on someone else to hold you to being true to the goals you want to accomplish but how AWESOME would it feel to hold your own self accountable. WOW! Pat yourself on the back today…amazing job! Just writing this brings a big smile to my face…how about you?
3. When it feels tough…keep going - Self-care can be challenging and come with feelings of guilt…just keep practicing it. If you fall off the horse just get right back on and try again. As many people have quoted “It’s not how many times you fall down, it’s how many times you get up!” YOU GOT THIS!
Now that you understand the importance of self-care, what will it take for you to put yourself higher on your priority list?
Yes, boundaries are the lines on a field where play stops once the ball is outside the line but how does this relate to your life?
Actually, quite similarly!
1. Take your purple crayon and draw the lines of your playing field.
2. Remember what is outside the purple lines is out of bounds.
3. Consider what you are NOT willing to accept when it comes to giving something up for yourself (this one takes some projection ahead).
Wow, seems simple when I say it like that, doesn’t it?
To be able to implement these boundaries, you must use a purple Sharpie rather than a crayon…crayons leave room for smudges which mean you let others melt their way in and who is left feeling crappy? YOU!
Self-care and boundaries go hand in hand. Without boundaries, self-care can often be sabotaged. Like everything else in life, this is a practice and practicing boundaries requires self-care. So, when someone crosses your boundaries for the first time, try loving yourself (see #1 under self-care) and don’t give up and go back to your old ways because it is easier. Just dig that Sharpie in a little harder and understand ‘why’ you let them in!
Meditation is also an important part of my daily self-care practice. With a busy life, I schedule time into my day to practice but there are often days when ‘things’ pop up and I realize, when I am curled up in bed ready to sleep, that I let these ‘things’ get in the way of my health. Being in the industry doesn't make me immune to life's distractions, so I use this opportunity to remind myself to practice letting go of the need to beat myself up!
Last week I talked about habits and hopefully you are already working on one of those habits. When you focus on creating a positive habit, that is taking care of yourself. Hopefully understanding the role boundaries play in your life you will, more easily, complete your tasks each week!
Challenged by changes this year? Struggling to increase your performance potential?
Contact me TODAY to schedule a complimentary consultation and make 2018 the year of YOUR EMPOWERMENT!
Give yourself some self care and join me Tuesday & Thursdays (9:00-10:15 AM) @ Clay Health Spa for EMPOWER YOGA. Contact me about a complimentary class and other perks!
Please feel free to share this blog with anyone you know it will serve! Thank you!